ALTANA Management Services , Schererville, IN
Position: Benefits Specialist
The ALTANA Group develops and manufactures high-quality, innovative specialty chemical products. With us, you can help shape many important details of the world of the future. Our four divisions BYK, ECKART, ELANTAS, and ACTEGA have set worldwide standards in their markets. Our innovative products enable companies to develop technologies of the future today, technologies that make life easier, safer, and more comfortable. With sales of 1.8 billion euros, we are one of the world‘s most innovative, fastest-growing, and most proﬁtable chemical companies. We currently employ more than 6,000 people who have good ideas for the world of the future. You, too, can discover the special side of life with us. Bringing you many advantages.
The Employee Benefits Specialist possesses a deep knowledge of Human Resources and a detailed familiarity and understanding of health and welfare plans, DC/DB plans and regulations. In coordination with the Committee(s), this position will design employee benefit plans, evaluate new benefit programs, improve existing programs, monitor benefit and 401(K) administration, analyze costs and support our HR colleagues throughout the region. The position will serve as the primary contact for plan vendors / third party administrators and assure corporate compliance with provisions of Employee Retirement Income Security Act, Internal Revenue Service and Department of Labor.
This position is part-time, 3 - 4 days per week and is located in Schererville, Indiana.
- Leads the strategic compliance initiatives and manages the compliance calendar as it relates to employee benefit laws (ERISA, PPACA, HIPAA, COBRA, Wellness, etc.). Provides compliance technical support for HR team(s) and members of management. Continually develops and executes internal and external compliance communication strategies to include, but not limited to the creation of presentations, plan documents, open enrollment materials, monthly bulletins and website content.
- Regularly develops and maintains relationships with the Committee, carrier representatives, broker, human resources teams and subject matter experts. Acts as liaison between these parties with respect to problem solving, renewal/negotiations of contracts and complex claim issues. Advise and assist human resources team members with interpretation and application of employee benefits policies and programs.
- Develops objectives and procedures for benefit programs, administration and local site(s) roles and responsibilities.
- Acts in a Fiduciary capacity for the Defined Benefit Plans, Defined Contribution 401(k) plans, H&W plans and others as needed.
- Leads benefit due diligence process during M&A activity and participates in the integration or divestiture of businesses.
- Provide benefit information and statistical/census data to actuaries, insurance carriers, senior management and Committees.
- Support and/or administer IRS required audits when needed. Partner with Benefits Broker and HR team for internal audits, eligibility audits and other issues. Responsible for reviewing regulatory issues.
- Ensures accurate reporting for all sites. Assist with, and/or prepare and file documents (examples include, but are not limited to, 5500 forms, ACA reports, etc. annual PBGC payments).
- Establish and monitor medical claims budget in coordination with broker and Committee. Provide analytical reports when needed. Works in coordination with the accounting service organization with regard to reviewing/approving invoices, auditing claims data, etc.
- Travel up to 20% of the time to local sites for meetings, renewal discussions, conducting pro-active compliance assessments, presenting local training and compliance presentations.
- Maintains records and files, including plan documents, summary plan descriptions and contracts relating to the various benefits programs of the Company.
- Oversee annual enrollment process and work closely with vendor. Provide support and materials, when needed, to local sites, broker, carriers, etc.
- Responsible for creating and maintaining benefit plans in HRIS.
- Responsible to remove obstacles and meet deadlines. Must be oriented towards continuous improvement and applying new, cutting-edge technologies or processes for more efficiency, reducing paper and utilizing technology whenever possible.
- May perform other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in human resources or related field required.
- Minimum 8 years’ experience in the analysis, design and administration of employee benefit and DC/DB 401k programs, with at least 2 years in a leadership or project leadership capacity.
- Demonstrated knowledge of employee benefits administration is required; CEBS preferred.
- Excellent communication, problem solving and analytical skills are required.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office products as well as HRIS and P/R systems.
- Extensive knowledge of pertinent employment laws including ERISA, ACA, COBRA, FMLA, ADA, Section 125, Workers Compensation, Social Security and DOL requirements.
- Demonstrated systems, organization and project management success.
- Must be able to adapt to change and handle many tasks at the same time, prioritizing work for multiple projects and deadlines.
- Must be able to work independently, with strong attention to detail and able to self-check work
- Must be able to think strategically and act tactically.
- Displays effective communication skills with the ability to clearly and concisely articulate ideas, concepts, and proposals. Can effectively lead and/or collaborate with teams.
- Capable of qualitative and quantitative analysis, with a strong ability to work with numbers and financial data.
In the ALTANA Group, you will work in a unique culture of innovation where the utmost importance is attached to promoting individual ideas and abilities as well as open, trusting interaction.
We invite you to get to know us better and to become part of our team. Discover your career plus in specialty chemistry.